Ribboned Wedding Sign
This simple project is easy to make and is a fun addition to a casual wedding.
- Rotary cutter, cutting mat, and ruler
- Crepe paper (cream, lilac, orchid, and plum)
- Pinking shears
- Sewing machine
- Sewing thread to match crepe paper
- Typing paper
- Card stock (cream, plum, and lilac)
- 3/16-inch-wide silver adhesive tape
- 5-inch square of glass (cut at a crafts supply store)
- Spray adhesive
- Rose-print scrapbook paper
- Adhesive tape
- 1/4-inch hole punch
- Foam-core board
- Large-eye, blunt-end tapestry needle
- 9 adhesive foam dots
- 1 yard each of 9/16-inch-wide seam-binding ribbon (lilac, viola, and wisteria) (we used Midori ribbon)
1. Cut four 8-inch lengths each of crepe paper in the following widths: 1-1/4-inch cream, 1-1/2-inch lilac, 2-inch orchid, and 3-inch plum. Trim one long edge of each length with pinking shears.
2. On each cream length, mark a point at the corners on the pinked edge. Mark another point, 1/4 inch from the center of the long straight edge. Lightly draw an arc, connecting the points.
3. Group together one crepe paper length of each color, making four groups. Place the lengths in graduating widths with the narrowest (cream) on top; align the straight edges.
4. Stitch a row of gathering stitches along the drawn curved line of each group. Pull up the thread until the gathering stitches are tight and the crepe paper forms a half-circle. Knot the thread ends. Trim the seam allowance even. Set the half-circles aside.
5. Type the names of the bride and groom and the wedding date on the computer. The text should fill an area no larger than 4 inches square. To check the design for accuracy, print it on typing paper; then cut it out in a 5-inch square. Make any necessary adjustments. When you are satisfied with the design, print it on cream card stock and cut out the 5-inch square.
6. Cut a length of silver adhesive tape to fit one side of the glass. Place the tape even with the back edge; then fold it over to the top of the glass. Repeat for all sides. Turn the glass over. Place the printed cream square right side down on top of the glass. Repeat the process with the silver tape, folding it over the cream paper and securing it in place.
7. Using spray adhesive, adhere the cream square to plum card stock. Cut out the shape, leaving a 1/4-inch border all around. Adhere the shape to rose-print paper next and cut out, leaving a 1-1/4-inch border. Repeat with plum card stock, leaving a 1/8-inch border all around.
8. Slip a crepe paper half-circle under the top edge of the assembled papers. Tape in place on the back. Repeat for all sides. Cut an 11-inch square of lilac card stock. Mark and punch a hole in each upper corner 1 inch from the top and sides. Cut a 10-inch square of foam-core board. Center the lilac paper over the foam-core board and mark the position of the holes. Remove the lilac paper. Use a large tapestry needle to push a hole through the foam-core board.
9. Spray the foam-core board with adhesive. Center and press the foam-core board to the back of the lilac card stock, matching holes. Secure the crepe paper assembly to the lilac backing with adhesive foam dots.
10. Using the tapestry needle, thread lengths of ribbon, one at a time, through the holes, knotting them together on the front. Trim the tails to measure 3 inches long.