What You NeedHappily Ever After White Champagne Wedding Cake
- 2 12-x-1-inch round baking pans
- 2 10-x-2-inch round baking pans
- 2 8-x-2-inch round baking pans
- 2 6-x-2-inch round baking pans
- 10 white cake mixes (each mix would fill a 13-x-9-inch pan)
- 2 1/2 recipes Royal Icing (see below)
- 13 1/2-inch round wooden board
- 10-, 8-, and 6-inch round pieces of 1/4-inch-thick clear Plexiglas
- 1 recipe Hazelnut Buttercream (see below)
- 6 recipes Creamy White Frosting (see below)
- 6 24-ounce packages fondant
- Large decorating bag fitted with coupler, #18 and #21 star tips, and #2 writing tip
- Edible pearl dragees
- 12 white plastic dowels
- Swan cake topper
continue reading below
- Prepare cake mixes one or two at a time, according to package directions, substituting champagne for the water. For bottom tier, divide 4 mixes between two 12-inch baking pans. For next tier, divide 2 1/2 mixes between two 10-inch baking pans (use remaining batter for cupcakes). For next tier, divide 2 mixes between two 8-inch pans. For top tier, divide 1 mix between two 6-inch pans.
- Bake 12- and 10-inch cakes in a 325 degree F oven for 55 to 65 minutes. Bake 8-inch cakes for 50 to 60 minutes and 6-inch cakes for 45 to 55 minutes.
- Cool, wrap, and freeze each layer.
- At least two days before decorating the cake, prepare the letters H, E, and A. Make a computer printout of an Old English or script font in letters 1 1/4 inches tall. Place waxed paper over the prints and pipe the letters onto the waxed paper using Royal Icing and a #2 writing tip. Let dry.
- To assemble tiers, stack 12-inch cakes on the wooden board, lightly spreading Hazelnut Buttercream between cakes. Repeat with remaining tiers, stacking on Plexiglas pieces. Frost sides and tops of all tiers with Creamy White Frosting. Apply fondant to top and sides of each tier.
- All decorative piping is done with Royal Icing. To decorate, divide the 12-inch tier into eight sections and the 6-inch tier into four sections. Pipe a C-scroll in each section using a #18 star tip. While the icing is still soft, add pearl dragees. Decorate other layers with a shell border and pearl dragees.
- Insert plastic dowels into the bottom three tiers to support the stacks. Stack tiers on-site. Apply "Happily Ever After" to the top three tiers with Royal Icing using premade H, E, and A letters.
- Pipe the remaining letters with the writing tip. Pipe a border at the base of each tier using Royal Icing and a #21 star tip; add pearl dragees as desired. Place the swan on top of the cake.