- Wash and dry the silk fabric. Cut two 16x9-inch rectangles from the silk for the pillow front and back.
- Prepare the Applique Pieces: Trace the patterns onto the tracing paper; cut out the shapes. Trace the pattern pieces onto the wool fabrics. Cut out the shapes. Refer to the photograph to position the basket, pumpkins, and stems on the pillow front, placing the basket about 1-1/4 inches from the bottom edge. Lightly tack the pieces in place with glue.
- Applique and Embroider the Pillow Front: Use quilting thread and a primitive whipstitch to applique the pieces in place. Freehand-draw the vine for the leaves, the stems for the bittersweet, and the pumpkin section lines with the water-soluble marking pen. Use three strands of brown floss to stem-stitch the bittersweet stems and tan floss to stem-stitch the remaining lines. Applique the remaining wool pieces to the pillow front.
- Assemble the Pillow: With right sides together, sew the pillow front to the back with a 1/4-inch seam allowance, leaving a 6-inch opening along the bottom. Turn the pillow right side out. Stuff with fiberfill. Slip-stitch the opening closed.
- Note: For a guide to embroidery stitches, see below link.
See our Guide to Embroidery Stitches