What You Need:Get into the fall spirit with these handmade leaf coasters.
- Dishwashing soap
- 4-inch square white ceramic tiles
- Heavy-duty paper towels
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Porcelain paints (peridot, amber, brown, and light green)
- Leaf rubber stamps (aspen, maidenhair fern, redbud, and oak)
- 7/32-inch copper adhesive tape
1. Wash the tiles with soap and water. Rinse and pat dry. Using a paper towel, wipe alcohol over the tiles to remove any remaining oils or fingerprints. Allow the tiles to air-dry.
2. Brush a base color on the tiles. Moisten a paper towel and use it to gently blot or wipe the base color to add texture to the surface. Let the paint dry for 15 minutes.
3. Brush a contrasting paint color on a rubber stamp. (Do not allow the paint to pool between the raised surfaces of the stamp.) Test-print the stamp on an unpainted tile. Make any color or pressure adjustments before printing on the prepared tiles.
4. Let the paint dry for 24 hours; then follow the manufacturer's directions to bake the tiles in an oven. When the tiles have cooled, apply copper tape around the edges.
- Glue and grout the leaf-print tiles to a tray bottom for a serving piece.
- Apply leaf motifs to a ceramic photo frame, using these same painting and stamping techniques.