What You'll Need
- Small real or artificial leaves for feathers
- Acrylic paints: green, orange, yellow, purple, red
- Small sponge
- Plastic-foam shapes: one 2-7/8 x 3-3/16-inch egg (for the body) and one 2-inch-diameter ball (for the head)
- Two small forked branches
- Acorn caps
- Two toothpicks
- Sculpey clay: yellow
- Plastic disposable knife
- Crafts glue
continue reading below
How to Make It
- Cover work surface with newspaper. Lay leaves on top. Paint leaves with polka dots, stripes, and other designs. Or use the sponge to dab the leaves with paint.
- Paint the foam egg purple, the foam ball green, and the branches yellow; let dry. Add stripes to the branches. Paint the acorn caps red on the outside and yellow on the inside with a purple dot for the iris; let dry.
- Insert one toothpick into foam ball (head shape) until only 1/4 inch of it shows. Shape yellow clay into a cone beak; insert into foam ball on toothpick.
- Push the other toothpick halfway into the wide end of the egg. Push foam-ball head onto toothpick.
- Use knife to make slits in the body for leaf "feathers." Pinch the bottom of each leaf into a V shape. Dab glue onto the V shapes; push into slits.
- Dab tops of stick legs with glue; push into the bottom of the foam-egg body. Dab glue onto the acorn caps and push into the sides of the foam-ball head.