Best Towel Sets of 2019
A new towel set economically adds appeal to your bathroom while filling a practical need. Our shopping guide is here to help you find the best towel sets for your family.
Your Guide to the Fluffiest, Fastest-Drying Towel Sets
A towel set is a bathroom necessity. You need bath towels after your shower or bath, washcloths for your face, hand towels for drying your hands, and a bath mat to catch any excess water. But towel sets aren't just about function.
Beyond their practical purposes, the best towel sets add a decorative element to your bathroom and feel luxurious on your skin. This combination of form and function is what sets superior towel sets apart from average options. But how do you find a superior towel set for your bathroom?
At BestReviews, we're here to help. Instead of accepting free samples from manufacturers, we buy all the products we review, which ensures that our recommendations are always honest and unbiased. We compile our shopping guides through in-depth field and expert research and by analyzing the feedback of other real-life customers. That way we can pass along the info you need to make the most-educated shopping decisions.
Ready to buy a towel set? Simply scroll up for BestReviews' top picks. For everything you need to know to choose the best towel set for you, you've come to the right place.
Are Egyptian Cotton Towel Sets Best?
Egyptian Cotton Towel Sets
Egyptian cotton is one of the most-popular fabrics for home linens because it is strong, soft, plush, and highly absorbent. It's sourced from cotton grown in the Nile River Valley. Egyptian cotton is an ideal option if you're looking for a highly absorbent towel set that will dry you off quickly, hold up well to regular use, and offer a fluffy, luxurious feel.
Pima Cotton Towel Sets
Pima cotton is very similar to Egyptian cotton, except it is grown in the Southwest U.S., mostly in California. Pima cotton's absorbency, durability, and fluffiness are very similar to Egyptian cotton.
Supima Cotton Towel Sets
Supima cotton is the highest-quality Pima cotton. It's grown only in the U.S. by certified farmers. A towel set made from Supima cotton is extremely soft, strong, and colorfast.
Organic Cotton Towel Sets
Organic cotton is grown without fertilizers, pesticides, or herbicides. Organic cotton towel sets are similar in quality to Egyptian cotton or Pima cotton. Verify its authenticity by making sure the cotton is certified organic.
Turkish Cotton Towel Sets
Turkish cotton is grown in Turkey and is known for its durability, fluffiness, and natural sheen. A Turkish cotton towel set is an ideal option if you're looking for towels that are decorative.
Micro Cotton Towel Sets
Micro cotton is grown in India. Towel sets made from micro cotton are extremely absorbent and dry quickly.
Bamboo Viscose Towel Sets
Bamboo viscose is a semisynthetic fiber made from bamboo. It's usually combined with cotton, so the towels are highly absorbent and have a natural silklike sheen. Bamboo viscose is an ideal option if you're looking for a towel set that adds a decorative quality to your bathroom.
Modal Towel Sets
Modal is a semisynthetic fiber that's usually made from beech trees. It's an extremely soft fabric with a somewhat stretchy feel. Modal towel sets are a good option if you're primarily concerned with the feel of your towels.
What Comes in a Towel Set?
Towel sets vary, but they usually include some combination of the following:
- Bath Towel: Bath towels are used for drying off your body after a shower or bath. They're usually 27 x 52 inches.
- Bath Sheet: Bath sheets are larger than bath towels, so they work well for drying off and wrapping around yourself. They typically measure 25 x 60 inches.
- Washcloth: Washcloths are used in the shower or bath for washing your body and face. They usually measure 13 x 13 inches.
- Hand Towel: Hand towels are used to dry your hands after washing them. They typically measure 16 x 28 inches.
- Fingertip Towel: Fingertip towels are smaller than hand towels but serve the same purpose. They're usually used as guest towels and typically measure 11 x 18 inches.
- Bath Mat: Bath mats are highly absorbent, stiffer towels placed on the floor outside the shower or tub for bathers to step on. They usually measure 22 x 34 inches.
What is GSM? What to Look for When Buying a Towel Set
Number of Towels
Towel sets vary in the number of towels from as few as four to as many as 18. Some towel sets only include one type of towel, while other towel sets include a variety of towels to cover all your bathroom needs.
If you're interested in buying a complete towel set for your bathroom, look for a set that includes two bath towels or bath sheets, two washcloths, two hand towels, and a bath mat.
If you're looking to supplement an existing towel set, look for a towel set that includes the towels you need. A good rule of thumb is to have three bath towels and two washcloths per person.
A bath towel's weight or density is measured in grams per square meter (GSM), which can vary from 300 to 900. The higher a towel's GSM, the more absorbent it will be.
- 300 to 400 GSM: For basic gym towels, look for a towel set with 300 to 400 GSM.
- 400 to 600 GSM: For everyday bath or beach towels, look for a towel set with 400 to 600 GSM.
- 600 to 900 GSM: For highly absorbent, luxurious towels, look for a towel set with 600 to 900 GSM.
When it comes to choosing a durable towel set, pay attention to the number of plies. Two-ply towels are the most durable, because they use double the amount of yarn that one-ply towels do, giving them a denser feel. Two-ply towels also have a higher absorbency, though they take longer to dry.
- Combed Cotton: Combed cotton means that the cotton has been combed through to remove debris and short fibers. This technique ensures that only the strongest, longest fibers are used for the towels. If you're concerned about your towel set pilling or not holding up to regular washings, opt for a combed cotton set.
- Ringspun: Ringspun cotton towels are constructed with both long and short fibers that are twisted together to form a smoother, finer surface. Choose a ringspun towel set if you want towels with a soft, smooth feel.
- Terry Cloth: Terry cloth towels are constructed using longer loops and extra yarn. They're an ideal option if you want a towel set that is highly absorbent.
- Banded Edges: Keep an eye out for towel sets with banded edges. These towels are specifically designed to resist fraying for increased durability.
How Much Does a Good Towel Set Cost?
Towel sets vary in price based on GSM, the number of towels, and the material, but you can typically expect to pay between $11 and $150.
- Inexpensive: For a basic towel set with a low GSM, you'll usually pay between $11 and $25.
- Mid-Range: For a mid-range towel set with a median GSM, you'll usually pay between $25 and $45.
- Expensive: For a high-end towel set with a high GSM, you'll usually pay between $50 and $150.
Tips for Making Your Towel Set Last
- Most towel sets are machine-washable, but you shouldn't use fabric softener. Fabric softener can coat the towels' fibers and decrease their absorbency.
- After you buy a towel set, wash and dry it before using it. The towels are often coated with silicone, which makes them less absorbent, but washing them removes it.
- Wash your bath towels every few days to ensure that they're as clean and absorbent as possible.
- Wash white towels in hot water and colored towels in warm water.
- It's best to wash towels in their own load, so you can adjust the washing machine's settings for type and color.
Q. Which towel set material lasts the longest?
A. For a durable towel set, it's important to choose a set made with a long-staple cotton. The longer the staple, or cotton fiber, the greater the towel set's durability. Egyptian, Turkish, Pima, or Supima cotton are the best options.
Q. What kind of towel set is best for kids?
A. Choose a towel set in a darker color or pattern to hide any stains that children might leave behind. A bleach-safe towel set is also a good idea, so you can thoroughly clean the towels.
Q. What are the most eco-friendly towel sets?
A. If you're concerned about making an eco-conscious purchase, a bamboo viscose towel set is a good option. Bamboo is a renewable resource and a biodegradable material, so it's environmentally friendly. Organic cotton towel sets are also a good option because the cotton is grown without herbicides, pesticides, or fertilizers, which can cause soil and water contamination.