9 Best Comforters on Amazon For Hotel-Quality Sleep Every Night
Snuggling up under a thick, cozy comforter is literally what dreams are made of. There's nothing quite like the warmth and plushness of a soft comforter to help you drift off to sleep. And as far as bedding essentials go, your comforter is one of the biggest factors in creating the ideal space for deep, restorative sleep, so it's important to find the right one.
According to experts, finding a comforter that fits your personal preferences and body temperature is crucial. "The comfort and temperature management provided by comforters can help lull the body into peaceful homeostasis to allow for proper temperature regulation throughout the night," says Joshua Tal, Ph.D., a sleep and health psychologist and advisor to Idle Group, a mattress company that owns Idle Sleep.
Tal notes that the body naturally likes to be around 65 to 69 degrees Fahrenheit while you're asleep in bed. Any hotter or colder and you might end up tossing and turning most of the night. Keep in mind that comforters are measured by their fill power, or the size and quality of the stuffing inside. Think about it like this: The higher the fill power, the fluffier and warmer a comforter will be.
How to Find the Best Comforter
The best comforter for you will depend on the season and climate of where you live. Here are a few other things to consider when shopping for a comforter:
- A lightweight comforter is ideal during the warmer months. Tal recommends shopping for comforters made with cotton, linen, or bamboo materials. They tend to be more breathable and keep the body at its optimal temperature. The ideal fill power for a lightweight comforter is between 400 and 600.
- A down comforter is better suited for colder months because it provides a warm layer to keep you snuggly and cozy. Traditional down is made with either goose or duck feathers and fluff (or sometimes both). These breathable down fills are known for warmth and fluffiness. For this category, look for a comforter between 600 and 850 fill power. For the highest quality and loftiness, 850 fill power is the way to go. Just keep in mind that this type of comforter will be more expensive than others.
- A down alternative comforter delivers warmth like its down counterpart, but this type is stuffed with soft polyester fibers instead of traditional down. The same amount of down-alternative fill won't be as warm as a goose fill comforter. To get the equivalent warmth, these are made with extra fiber filling, making it a bit heavier with a snuggly feel. Down alternative comforters are also great for allergy sufferers, and comforters deemed as "all-season" can work throughout the year. For year-round comfort, choose a duvet with 400 to 600 fill, but if you're in the market for a warmer blanket, opt between 600 to 850 fill power.
Ready to start shopping for the best comforters on Amazon? Take a peek at what's to come:
- Best Overall: Cosybay Quilted Goose Duck Down Comforter
- Best Value: Utopia Bedding Comforter Duvet
- Best Lightweight Comforter: Brooklinen Down Alternative Comforter
- Best Goose Down Comforter: Egyptian Cotton Factory Goose Down Comforter
- Best Down Alternative Comforter: Linenspa All-Season Down Alternative Comforter
- Best Cooling Comforter: Buffy Breeze Comforter
- Best Hypoallergenic Comforter: Sleep Restoration Down Alternative Comforter
- Best Fluffy Comforter: Puredown All-Season Quilted Duvet Comforter
- Best Comforter Set: Madison Park Palmer 7-Piece Comforter Set