Jam & Jelly Tips
Follow these tips and enjoy a sweet treat all year.
- For cooking fruit mixtures, choose a large enough kettle or Dutch oven. It should be no more than one-third full of water at the start to allow for vigorous boiling.
- Follow instructions exactly. Liquid and powdered pectins are used differently. They can't be used interchangeably.
- To make a larger quantity, prepare the recipe two or more times. Do not try to double quantities.
- Use sterilized canning jars with two-piece lids. Prepare jars first; keep them warm while cooking the mixture.
- Process jellied products in a boiling-water canner to prevent mold growth.