continue reading below
- If you're making gravy for something that's been roasted or pan-fried, deglaze the pan and use the drippings for extra flavor.
- For lump-free gravy, make sure the flour or cornstarch is thoroughly mixed with the fat or the cold liquid before cooking it.
- Cook and stir constantly (use a whisk) until the gravy boils and thickens.
- Browned bits of meat or poultry in gravy add lots of flavor, so don't bother with straining them out.
- To finish gravy, season it to taste with salt and pepper and, if needed, thin it with a little broth, wine, or milk.