Low on margarine? Swap in any of these easy margarine substitutes.
Margarine Substitutes For 1 cup margarine, substitute 1 cup butter or 1 cup shortening plus 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Healthy Margarine Substitutes For 1 cup margarine, substitute 1 cup of the following ingredients:
- Substitute 1 cup cream cheese or reduced-fat cream cheese, which has less calories and fat.
- Substitute 1 cup 60% to 70% vegetable oil spread or olive oil spread, which are trans fat-free.
- Substitute 1 cup tofu (best in brownies).
- Substitute 1 cup baby prunes (best in dark baked goods, due to color).
- Substitute 1 cup unsweetened applesauce, which cuts the fat and adds vitamin C.
Top Baking Recipes