The key to a great grilled cheese sandwich is choosing the right ingredients and cooking them until golden brown. Learn how to make grilled cheese with a crispy outside and ooey-gooey cheese. We're also sharing recipes for our favorite pair: creative grilled cheese sandwiches and homemade tomato soup.
Ooey-Gooey Grilled Cheese
A melty grilled cheese sandwich is classic comfort food. We'll show you how to make a grilled cheese including ideas for delicious variations. Plus, get our best grilled cheese recipes and ideas for homemade tomato soup.
Step 1: Choose Your Cheese
A great grilled cheese sandwich starts with the cheese. Choose a cheese that's good for melting. Our favorites include American, cheddar, Monterey Jack, Colby-Jack, mozzarella, provolone, Muenster, Swiss, Gruyere, and Fontina.
Step 2: Choose Your Bread
White, wheat, rye, pumpernickel—sliced bread is your base for making crispy grilled cheese sandwiches. Slice bread 1/2 inch thick. Be sure to keep slices even and similar in size for even browning.
Step 3: Assemble the Sandwich
- Top one slice of bread with desired cheese. Plan on 1-2 slices of cheese per sandwich.
- Try adding a slather of something on the remaining slice of bread for flavor and moisture. Mustard and mayonnaise are must-haves; also consider chutney, pesto, tapenade, cranberry sauce, apricot jam, and hummus.
- Place bread slices together, cheese and spread in the middle.
- Brush both sides of the sandwich with olive oil or butter.
Step 4: Cook the Grilled Cheese
Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. If desired, add 1 Tablespoon of butter and heat until butter melts. Add sandwich to skillet and cook about 2 minutes or until bottoms are golden. Flip and repeat until bottoms are golden and the cheese melts. (Adjust the heat as necessary to prevent overbrowning.)
Try Adding Toppers
Add color, flavor, and crunch with these delicious extras.
- Veggies like spinach, arugula, red onion, sweet and hot peppers, and tomatoes add freshness.
- Try adding firm fruits like apples, stone fruits, and pears.
- Just about any cooked meat that can be sliced, chopped, shredded, or ground can be tucked into a grilled cheese sandwich.
Melty Grilled Cheese Recipes
Put a twist on the classic grilled cheese. We're stuffing these ooey-gooey sandwiches with everything from fresh veggies to bacon. Yum!