1. Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes so that they will beat up higher and faster than cold egg whites.
2. Crack eggs, and separate the yolks from the whites by using an egg separator.
3. Make sure egg whites are in a clean glass or metal bowl and that there's no stray yolk or fat particles, which can prevent proper whipping.
4. To beat egg whites until they are stiff, use an electric mixer set on medium, or a rotary beater. Scrape the sides of the bowl often with a rubber spatula.
5. Continue to beat the eggs until the peak stands straight up when the beaters are lifted from the mixture.