continue reading below
- Hickory is a favorite for all types of foods because it yields an intense, sweet flavor.
- Many say pecan is a smoother version of hickory with a fruity quality.
- Delicate, light alder is often paired with salmon and other fish.
- Mesquite lends sweetness to beef, pork, poultry, and fish.
- Apple, orange, and cherry woods impart a lighter smoky sweetness that complements poultry and fish nicely.
- Hardwood chips work best for quick-cooking foods; the chunks are better suited to larger items. Soak both the chips and the chunks in water for an hour before using so they will smoke rather than burn.