Greek SouvlakiGet the recipe for Make-It-Mine Souvlaki
This yummy Greek recipe for souvlaki is perfect for a house with picky eaters. You can customize this recipe any way you want by using different proteins, veggies, sauces, and dressings. Choose your ingredients below, then follow the cooking instructions in the Make-It-Mine Souvlaki recipe.
Choose Your Protein
To start, customize your souvlaki with your favorite protein such as chicken or lamb (or even Halloumi cheese!).
- Chicken Breast: Use 1-1/2 lb. chicken breast tenderloins or skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch strips or or cubes. Cook 12 to 14 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Chicken Thighs: Use 1-1/2 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch strips or cubes. Cook 12 to 14 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Lamb: Use 1 lb. lean boneless lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes. Cook 10 to 12 minutes or until desired doneness.
- Shrimp: Use 1 lb. fresh or frozen medium shrimp in shells, peeled and deveined. Cook 10 to 12 minutes or until opaque.
- Salmon: Use 1 lb. fresh or frozen skinless salmon fillets, cut into 1-inch cubes. Cook 8 to 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily.
- Scallops: Use 1 lb. fresh or frozen sea scallops. Cook 8 to 12 minutes or until opaque.
- Cheese: Use 8 oz. Halloumi cheese, cut into 1/2-inch slices or 1-inch cubes. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese begins to soften.
Choose a Dressing
To give your souvlaki an extra boost of flavor, choose a dressing to marinate your protein in before cooking.
- Garlic-Oregano Dressing: Combine the zest and juice from 1 lemon, 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano, 2 Tbsp. olive oil, 2 cloves minced garlic, 3/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper.
- Pineapple-Mint Dressing: Mix together 1/2 cup pineapple juice, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint, 1/2 tsp. dry mustard, and 1/2 tsp. salt.
- Lemon-Honey Dressing: Combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar, 2 tsp. honey, 1 tsp. kosher salt, and 1/8 tsp. each dried oregano and freshly ground black pepper.
Pick Your Veggies
Fresh veggies make every dish better! Choose a few to add to your souvlaki skewer:
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced 3/4 inch thick
- 2 medium red, green, or yellow sweet peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cucumber, seeded, quartered lengthwise, and cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1-inch-thick wedges
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 8 oz. fresh button mushrooms
Add a Sauce
Complete your souvlaki with a delicious relish or sauce, perfect for spooning over skewers.
- Make Cucumber Relish: Combine 1 cup chopped cucumber, 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion, 1/3 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives, 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint, 1 Tbsp. olive oil, and 1 tsp. red wine vinegar.
- Get the recipe for Tzatziki Sauce.
- Try the Triple-Olive Tapenade recipe.
- Make the Cucumber-Tahini Sauce recipe.
- Try it with the Romesco Sauce recipe.
Try More Mediterranean RecipesGet the Pesto-Prosciutto Flatbread recipe.
If you love souvlaki, you'll love these other tasty Mediterranean recipes: