Tofu is a popular meat substitute in oriental dishes.
- Tofu or bean curd, with its high protein content and smooth texture, is especially popular in Oriental dishes as a meat substitute or extender.
- You usually can buy soft- or firm-style tofu in shelf-stable boxes in the Oriental food section of your supermarket. Tofu also can be found in the produce section.
- For stir-fries, choose firm tofu, which holds its shape better for slicing and cubing.
- To prepare tofu for stir-fried dishes, drain it and cut it into bite-size cubes.
- To keep tofu from breaking up in stir-fries, add it at the end of stir-frying and gently stir it into the other ingredients.