How to Make Strawberry Pie
This pie is all about the berries. Our homemade strawberry pie filling uses strawberries in two ways, so your slice gets a double dose of fruity flavor. We'll teach you how to make strawberry pie from scratch so you can take full advantage of berries while they're in season.
A sweet slice of from-scratch strawberry pie says summer best. Learn how to make this easy pie recipe and you'll never be without a dessert for a potluck or sunny-day picnic. Our homemade strawberry pie filling takes only three ingredients, and we bet you already have them on hand.
How to Make Piecrust for Strawberry Pie
Before you get started on the strawberry pie filling, you'll need to make piecrust. The Single-Crust Pie Pastry for our Fresh Strawberry Pie recipe needs just four ingredients: all-purpose flour, salt, shortening, and cold water. Follow these steps:
- In medium bowl stir together 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/3 cup shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork to mix. Push moistened pastry to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon of water at a time (about 1/4 to 1/3 cup), until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Form dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, slightly flatten pastry. Roll pastry from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter, lightly dusting with flour as needed.
- Ease pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Prick bottom and side of pastry. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 450 degrees F oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 5 to 6 minutes more or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
Get the recipe: Single-Crust Pie Pastry
Watch it come together before you begin! See our step-by-step instructions for how to make a single-crust piecrust.
How to Make Strawberry Pie From Scratch
This easy strawberry pie recipe is about to become your new go-to dessert. You can keep it plain and let the strawberries shine all on their own, or you can dress it up a little with whipped cream and mint leaves. Follow these instructions to make our Fresh Strawberry Pie:
- 1 recipe Single-Crust Pie Pastry, baked (see recipe, above)
- 8 cups medium fresh strawberries
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Several drops red food coloring (optional)
- Whipped cream (optional)
Prepare piecrust and set aside. Meanwhile remove stems from strawberries. Cut any large strawberries in half lengthwise; set aside.
For glaze, in a blender or food processor combine 1 cup strawberries and 2/3 cup water. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Add enough additional water to the mixture to equal 1-1/2 cups. In a medium saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in blended strawberry mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. If desired, stir in red food coloring. Remove from heat; cool for 10 minutes. (Do not stir.)
Spread about 1/4 cup of the glaze over bottom and sides of baked piecrust. Arrange half of the remaining strawberries, stem ends down, in the piecrust.
Carefully spoon half of the remaining glaze over berries, making sure to cover all berries. Arrange remaining berries over first layer. Spoon remaining glaze over berries, covering each. Chill for 1 to 2 hours. (After 2 hours, filling may begin to water out.) If desired, top with whipped cream.
Get the recipe: Fresh Strawberry Pie
More Luscious Strawberry Desserts
From simple strawberry pie to an indulgent six-layer strawberry cake, we can't get enough of these scrumptious strawberry desserts:
- Best-Ever Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie
- Game-Changing Strawberry Dessert Recipes
- Seriously Adorable Strawberries
- Strawberry Hand Pies
- Six-Layer Strawberry Cake