How to Make Apple Pie
Tart, crisp apples. Warm, delicious spices. Buttery, flaky crust. You know why apple pie is a classic American dessert recipe, but do you know how to make apple pie the best it can be? Learn how to make apple pie filling, get our favorite apple pie recipes, and learn our tricks to the all-around best apple pie ever.
Go Apple Picking! The type of apples you're baking with determines the amount of sugar to use in your filling. Because Granny Smiths are more tart than Golden Delicious apples, for example, you'll want to use an additional 1/4 cup of sugar. Get our tips on choosing and prepping apples for pie here.
No More Bubble Trouble Cut several slits into the top of a double-crust pie before baking it to allow steam to escape and to prevent excessive bubbling. Get our step-by-step directions for a double-crust pie here.
Bake Until Golden Fruit pies are done when the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. As an extra test, gently pierce a knife through the crust into an apple slice or two -- the fruit should be tender.
Don't Overbake To prevent the edges of your piecrust from overbrowning, fold a 12-inch square of foil into quarters, then cut a 7-inch circle out of the center. Unfold the foil and mold it loosely over the pie's edge.
Serve It Up Let fruit pies cool at least two hours before cutting them. That way the slices won't fall apart.
Get our classic apple pie recipe here.
How to Make Caramel Apple Pie
1. For the apple pie pastry, in a bowl stir together 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/3 cup shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of water over part of the flour mixture, tossing with a fork until all dough is moistened. Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time as needed until flour mixture is moistened. Form dough into a ball; set aside.
2. For the apple pie crumb topping, stir together 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, and 1/2 cup quick rolled oats. Cut in 1/2 cup butter or margarine until the topping mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 12-inch circle. Transfer pastry to a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim; crimp edge as desired.
4. In a large mixing bowl stir together 1/2 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Add 6 cups apple slices (thinly sliced and peeled) and gently toss until coated. Transfer apple mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate. Sprinkle crumb topping over apple mixture.
5. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes more or until top is golden brown. Remove from oven; sprinkle pie with 1/2 cup chopped pecans, then drizzle with 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 8 servings.
Apple Pie Recipes
Now that you know how to make apple pie, get our other apple pie recipes!