Perfectly-Made Grilled Apple Crisp
When I think of the perfect tailgating menu, I think of meaty chili, juicy burgers, chicken slathered in barbecue sauce, and cold, cold beer. But if you're like me, after all that hearty, finger-licking food, I crave a bite of something sweet -- like this grilled apple crisp made in an individual foil pack. The apples are warm and tender, the brown sugar oat topping is sweet and crunchy and, when topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, the flavor is pure heaven.
How to Make Grilled Apple Crisp
These grilled apple crisps are simple to execute if you follow these basic instructions.
- Toss chopped apples with lemon juice and sugar. Mix together the brown sugar oat topping. Tear off a piece of nonstick foil. Place a spoonful of apples on the foil, and then cover the apples with a big scoop of the oat topping.
- Fold in half and crimp the edges of the foil.
- Place the crimped pouch on a piece of heavy duty foil. Fold over heavy duty foil and seal.
- Grill for 20 minutes, open, and enjoy! Even better...top with vanilla ice cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon. YUM!
You can find my complete recipe and instructional video here. You'll want to keep in mind these important tips when making your apple crisps:
- If you don't have nonstick foil, you can coat regular foil with nonstick cooking spray before spooning on the apples and topping.
- Yes, you DO need two layers of foil, and the outer layer should be heavy duty foil. Trust me, the butter and sugar will burn and turn your dessert into a blackened mess with only one layer.
- Be mindful of your grilling temperature. I find a medium to low flame works best to cook the apples, crisp up the crumbs, and prevent uneven cooking and burning.
- Use a sweet/tart apple so it doesn't turn to mush on the grill. My favorites are Gala, Braeburn, or Honeycrisp -- or try a combination for a little variety in taste and texture.
Top with Vanilla Ice Cream
These apple crisps are just what you're craving for your parking lot tailgate or when huddled around the big screen in your living room. Fold up your packs before the crowd arrives, and toss them on the grill when you're ready for a taste of something sweet. Your guests will enjoy all the flavors of fall wrapped up in a warm and toasty pouch, and the best part is they don't have to share!