- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 139-inch baking pan or line with parchment paper.
- Using large holes of a box grater, shred zucchini. (You should have 2 cups packed.) Transfer zucchini to a clean kitchen towel. Roll up; squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, walnuts, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg; set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, sugar, oil, butter, vanilla, and citrus zests. Stir in zucchini and half of flour mixture, mixing well after each addition. Stir in buttermilk, then remaining flour mixture until just combined. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Transfer pan to a wire rack. Brush top of warm cake with Lemon Syrup; cool in pan. If desired, top with zucchini blossoms.
- Lemon Syrup: In a small saucepan bring three 31/2-inch strips lemon zest, 1/2 cup lemon juice, and 1/2 cup sugar to boiling over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat; let cool. Strain syrup; discard solids.
From the Test Kitchen
2 to 3, 3x1/2-inch strips lemon zest 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice 1/2 cup sugar Combine the lemon zest and juice and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to boiling over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat; let cool. Strain syrup through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl; discard solids.
Nutrition Facts (Zucchini-Walnut Cake)
- Per serving:
- 398 kcal ,
- 21 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 7 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 58 mg chol. ,
- 359 mg sodium ,
- 49 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 32 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.