Zesty Meat Sauce with Spaghetti Squash
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil. Halve squash lengthwise. Remove seeds. Place squash, cut sides down, in the prepared baking pan. Using a fork, prick the skin all over. Arrange sweet pepper, mushrooms, and onion wedges around squash. Coat vegetables with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Meanwhile, for meat sauce, in a large skillet cook ground beef, chopped onion, carrot, celery, and garlic over medium heat until meat is browned and vegetables are tender, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain well.
- Stir tomato sauce, salsa, 1 cup water, the Italian seasoning, black pepper, and crushed red pepper into meat mixture in skillet. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Using a fork, remove the squash pulp from the shells. In a large bowl toss 4 cups** of the squash pulp with the roasted sweet pepper strips, mushrooms, and onion wedges. Serve meat sauce over squash-vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
From the Test Kitchen
For added color, use half of a red sweet pepper and half of a green sweet pepper.
Store any leftover squash in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Use with pesto or pasta sauce as a side dish.
Nutrition Facts (Zesty Meat Sauce with Spaghetti Squash)
- Per serving:
- 181 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 37 mg chol. ,
- 236 mg sodium ,
- 21 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 11 g sugar ,
- 16 g pro.