Recipes and Cooking Zesty Lime Sandwich Cookies 3.0 (1) 1 Review Brighten the flavor of this shortbread-like cookie with in-season limes. Lime zest in the cookie dough and in the buttercream filling add nice citrus notes to this Christmas cookie. By Sue Hoss Sue Hoss Website Susan Hoss has spent most of her career in food publishing, landing her first magazine job in 1997 after graduating from culinary school. She rose through the ranks at Cuisine at Home magazine, and for over 10 years helped shape the direction of the publication, developing recipes and writing in-depth articles, helping to make it one of the top food-focused magazine in the United States by 2008. Since 2009, Sue has been a partner at Main Dish Media, a boutique food media company in Des Moines, Iowa, specializing in content creation, recipe development, and food styling for photos and videos; in 2014 she helped create and launch Look Cook and Eat, an online resource designed for those with intellectual and cognitive disabilities learn to cook simple, healthy meals to facilitate independence. Sue is a sought-after presenter at conferences and often leads cooking classes and workshops locally and nationally for the disability community.Sue was the editor of Cuisine at Home's Holiday Cookies Special Interest Book published in 2005, which was the sixth best-selling title at Lowes Home Improvement Stores during the 2006 holiday season. In 2007, she appeared as a guest on PBS's Ciao Italia hosted by Mary Ann Esposito, showcasing a recipe from the cookie book.Susan graduated from Gustavus Adolphus College in Minnesota in 1989 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English. After working in Colorado and Japan, she returned to the States and enrolled in New England Culinary Institute in Vermont, where she received her Associate's Degree in Culinary Arts in 1997. She received the New England Culinary Institute's President's Award for Academic Excellence in 1997. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Published on November 9, 2021 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Carson Downing Hands On Time: 30 mins Total Time: 50 mins Servings: 26 Yield: 26 sandwich cookies Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 1 cup butter, softened ½ cup granulated sugar 2 teaspoon lime zest 2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour Lime Buttercream Filling Directions Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment. In a large bowl beat butter with a mixer on medium to high 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar and lime zest. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in flour (mixture may be crumbly). Use your hands to gather dough into a smooth ball. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough at a time to about 1/8 inch thick. Using 2 1/2-inch tree-shape cutters, cut out dough. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until bottoms are golden. Cool on sheets 4 minutes; cool on wire rack. Spread bottoms of half the cookies with a generous layer of Lime Buttercream Filling. Top with remaining cookies. If desired, use remaining filling to decorate cookie tops. Makes 26. Lime Buttercream Filling In a large bowl beat 1/3 cup softened butter with a mixer on medium until smooth. Gradually add 2 cups powdered sugar, beating well. Slowly beat in 2 to 3 Tbsp. milk, 1 tsp. vanilla, and 1/2 tsp. grated lime zest. Gradually beat in an additional 2 cups powdered sugar. Beat in enough milk to reach spreading consistency. If you like, tint filling with green food coloring. Makes 2 cups. To Store: Layer unfrosted cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 211 Calories 10g Fat 31g Carbs 1g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 26 Calories 211 % Daily Value * Total Fat 10g 13% Saturated Fat 6g 30% Cholesterol 25mg 8% Sodium 76mg 3% Total Carbohydrate 31g 11% Total Sugars 22g Protein 1g Vitamin C 0.3mg 2% Calcium 6mg 0% Iron 0.5mg 3% Potassium 17mg 0% Folate, total 20.2mcg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.