Za'atar Rice Stuffed Peppers
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add the next five ingredients (through black pepper); cook and stir 1 minute more. Stir in beans and tomato puree; heat through. Stir in rice.
- Halve sweet peppers lengthwise; remove and discard seeds and membranes. Fill pepper halves with rice mixture. Place stuffed peppers in a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Pour the water into dish around peppers.
- Bake, covered, 30 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender. Top with yogurt and, if desired, cucumber, parsley, and/or additional za'atar spice mix. If desired, serve with lemon wedges.
From the Test Kitchen
Za'atar Chicken- and Rice-Stuffed Peppers:
Prepare as directed, except stir in 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken with the rice.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 242 calories, 15 g protein, 36 g carbohydrate, 5 to total fat (1 g sat. fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 6 g total sugar, 14% Vitamin A, 100% Vitamin C, 354 mg sodium, 7% calcium, 14% iron
Nutrition Facts (Za'atar Rice Stuffed Peppers)
- Per serving:
- 192 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 331 mg sodium ,
- 36 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.