Fruit-Filled Ladder Loaf
- In a small bowl dissolve the yeast in the warm water. In a large bowl beat the 1/2 cup margarine or butter, the granulated sugar, and salt with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until combined. Add 1 cup of the flour, the 1/2 cup milk, eggs, and dissolved yeast. Beat until well combined. Stir in the 3 cups remaining flour. Stir until dough is smooth. Place dough in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 6 to 24 hours.
- For filling, in a medium mixing bowl stir together the brown sugar, the 2 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Add the apples. Toss to coat the fruit. Set aside.
- Grease 2 baking sheets. Stir dough down. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Roll each half of the dough into a 12x9-inch rectangle. Carefully transfer each rectangle to a prepared baking sheet. Spread with the 1/4 cup margarine or butter. Spread the filling in a 3-inch-wide strip down the center of each rectangle to within 1 inch of the ends.
- On the long sides, make 3-inch cuts from the edges toward center at 1-inch intervals. Starting at one end, alternately fold opposite strips of dough, at an angle, across the filling. Slightly press the ends in the center together to seal. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double (45 to 60 minutes).
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Remove from oven.
- In a mixing bowl combine powdered sugar, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon milk or orange juice. Stir in additional milk or juice, 1 teaspoon at a time, until it reaches drizzling consistency. Drizzle over loaf. Serve warm. Makes 2 loaves (22 servings).
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare loaves as directed except do not drizzle with icing. Wrap cooled loaves tightly in foil. Freeze for up to one month. To serve, thaw wrapped loaves at room temperature. (Or, heat wrapped loaves in a 300 degree F. oven about 20 minutes.) Drizzle with icing as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Fruit-Filled Ladder Loaf)
- Per serving:
- 212 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 39 mg chol. ,
- 168 mg sodium ,
- 31 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 4 g pro.