Whole Wheat Butterhorns
- In a large mixing bowl stir together 1-1/2 cups of the all-purpose flour and the yeast. In a small saucepan heat water, sugar, shortening, and salt just until warm (115 degree F to 120 degree F) and shortening is almost melted, stirring constantly. Add to flour mixture.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl. Beat for 3 minutes on high speed. With a wooden spoon, stir in whole wheat flour and as much all-purpose flour as you can.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining all-purpose flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total).
- Shape dough into a ball; place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about 1 hour). Punch dough down; divide into thirds and shape each into a smooth ball. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface roll 1 ball of dough into a 12-inch circle; spread with 2 tablespoons of the softened butter or margarine. Cut circle into 12 wedges.
- To shape the rolls, begin at the wide end of the wedge and roll dough toward the point. Place, point side down, 2 to 3 inches apart on a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let the rolls rise in a warm place until slightly more than doubled (about 45 minutes). Brush with melted butter.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until brown. Remove from baking sheet; cool on wire racks. Brush again with melted butter or margarine. Makes 36 rolls.
- Let dough stand in freezer bags at room temperature about 2-1/2 hours or until thawed (or thaw overnight in the refrigerator). Shape, let rise and bake as above.
From the Test Kitchen
After kneading, divide dough into thirds. Form each portion into a smooth ball. Wrap each ball in clear plastic wrap and transfer to freezer bags. Seal, label, and freeze up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Whole Wheat Butterhorns)
- Per serving:
- 88 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 5 mg chol. ,
- 55 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g pro.