Recipes and Cooking White Bread 3.7 (63) 2 Reviews Homemade yeast bread is fun to make and a great way to treat your family to a bit of wholesome goodness. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Published on June 14, 2011 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Jacob Fox Prep Time: 30 mins Rise Time: 1 hrs 25 mins Bake Time: 40 mins Total Time: 2 hrs 35 mins Servings: 32 Yield: 2 loaves Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 5 ¾ - 6 ¼ cup all-purpose flour 1 package active dry yeast 2 ¼ cup milk or buttermilk 2 tablespoon sugar 1 tablespoon butter or shortening 1 ½ teaspoon salt Directions In a large mixing bowl combine 2-1/2 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, sugar, butter, and salt just until warm (120°F to 130°F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to dry mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (45 to 60 minutes). Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease two 8x4x2-inch loaf pans. Shape each portion of dough into a loaf by patting or rolling. To shape dough by patting, gently pat and pinch each portion into a loaf shape, tucking edges beneath. To shape dough by rolling, on a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 12x8-inch rectangle. Starting from a short side, roll up into a spiral. Seal with fingertips as you roll. Place the shaped dough in the prepared loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (30 to 40 minutes). Bake in a 375°Foven about 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when you tap the top with your fingers. (If necessary, cover loosely with foil the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning.) Immediately remove bread from pans. Cool on wire racks. Makes 2 loaves (32 servings). To Freeze: Wrap loaves in freezer wrap or place in airtight freezer containers. Freeze up to 1 month. To serve, thaw overnight. Wrap in foil. Bake in a 375°F oven about 10 minutes or until warm. Whole Wheat Bread Prepare as directed, except reduce all-purpose flour to 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 cups and stir in 2 cups whole wheat flour after beating 3 minutes in step 1. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 91 Calories 1g Fat 17g Carbs 3g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 32 Calories 91 % Daily Value * Total Fat 1g 1% Cholesterol 2mg 1% Sodium 112mg 5% Total Carbohydrate 17g 6% Protein 3g Calcium 20.2mg 2% Iron 1.1mg 6% *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.