Recipes and Cooking Sunflower Seed Bread 3.5 (2) Add your rating & review Making bread at home was all the rage during the 1970s when plain bread was considered out of style. After years of bleaching flour, milling companies began marketing some unbleached products. Sunflower seeds, wheat germ, and other seeds or nuts were stirred into dough for flavor and nutrition. This yeast bread recipe has citrus flavor and sunflower seeds for fresh taste and texture. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Published on June 14, 2011 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Prep Time: 30 mins Rise Time: 1 hrs 45 mins Bake Time: 35 mins Total Time: 2 hrs 50 mins Servings: 16 Yield: 1 loaf Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 3 ½ - 4 cup all-purpose flour 1 package active dry yeast ½ cup milk 3 tablespoon sugar 2 tablespoon margarine or butter ½ teaspoon salt 1 egg 1 tablespoon finely shredded orange peel (set aside) ½ cup orange juice ⅔ cup shelled sunflower seeds Melted margarine or butter (optional) Honey (optional) Directions In a large mixing bowl combine 1-1/2 cups of the flour and the yeast. In a small saucepan heat and stir milk, sugar, the 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, and the salt just until warm (120 degree F to 130 degree F) and margarine almost melts. Add to dry mixture in mixing bowl; add egg and orange juice. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in sunflower seeds, orange peel, and as much of the remaining flour as you can. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease the surface of dough. Cover; let rise in warm place until double in size (1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours). Punch dough down. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, grease an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan. Shape dough into loaf; place in prepared pan. Cover; let rise in warm place until double in size (30 to 45 minutes). If desired, brush top with melted margarine or butter. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. If necessary, cover with foil the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. Immediately remove from pan. Cool on wire rack. If desired, serve with honey. Makes 1 loaf (16 servings). Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 161 Calories 5g Fat 24g Carbs 5g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 16 Calories 161 % Daily Value * Total Fat 5g 6% Saturated Fat 1g 5% Cholesterol 14mg 5% Sodium 92mg 4% Total Carbohydrate 24g 9% Protein 5g *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.