South of the Border Bread
- In large bowl, combine 1-1/4 cups of the flour, the yeast, cornmeal, and baking soda. In small saucepan, combine buttermilk, onion, the 1/4 cup butter, and the salt; heat and stir just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts. Add buttermilk mixture, cheese, egg, cream-style corn, sweet pepper, and hot chili pepper to the flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of the dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
- Grease a large baking sheet; set aside. Punch dough down; divide into thirds. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Roll each third into a 14-inch-long rope. Place ropes on prepared baking sheet 1 inch apart. Starting in middle, loosely braid by bringing left rope under center rope. Next bring right rope under new center rope. Repeat to end. On other end, braid by bringing alternate ropes over center rope to center.
- Cover and let rise until nearly double (about 30 minutes). Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 30 minutes or until golden and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Brush with melted butter. Cool completely on wire rack. Makes 1 loaf (16 slices).
- Nutrition facts are based on 16 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To make sour milk, place 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1/2 cup total liquid; stir. Let stand 5 minutes before using.
Prepare dough as above, except after punching dough down, divide dough in half. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, grease twenty-four 2-1/2-inch muffin cups. Divide each half of the dough into 12 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Place one ball in each of the prepared muffin cups. Cover; let rise until nearly double (about 30 minutes). Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Serve warm or cool. Makes 24 rolls.
Prepare dough as above except after punching dough down, divide dough in half. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, grease baking sheets. Divide each half of the dough into 5 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Place balls on prepared baking sheets; flatten each to a 3-inch round. Cover; let rise until nearly double (about 30 minutes). Bake in 375 degree F oven about 15 minutes or until golden. Makes 10 buns.
Nutrition Facts (South of the Border Bread)
- Per serving:
- 160 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 28 mg chol. ,
- 225 mg sodium ,
- 23 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 5 g pro.