- Prepare Candied Orange Slices (see recipe below).
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour and the yeast: set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and stir water, orange juice, brown sugar, 1/3 cup butter, salt, and saffron just until warm (120 degree F to 130 degree F) and butter melts. Add to flour mixture along with egg. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the remaining flour and pine nuts. (Dough will be soft.) Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
- Grease a 9 x 1-1/2-inch round or 8x8-inch square baking pan; set aside. Lightly grease a spoon and stir dough down. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Using the back of the spoon to pat dough into the corners of the pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 45 minutes).
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 35 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. (Tip: Test the loaf with an instant read thermometer - it should read 195 degree F.) Cover with foil after 20 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
- To serve, place 1/2 of the Candied Orange Slices atop cake and drizzle with 1/2 cup of the syrup. Remove remaining orange slices with a slotted spoon. Coarsely chop. Pass chopped orange slices with cake. Reserve remaining syrup for a glaze for chicken, turkey or pork (Brush on meat during the last 5 minutes of broiling or grilling.) Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
For smaller loaves:
Line three 5-1/2 x 3-3/4 x 2-inch wooden bread molds with parchment paper. Prepare dough through Step 3, above, Turn dough out onto a floured surface. With a floured knife divide dough into 3 portions. With floured hands, transfer dough into prepared baskets; cover and let rise in a warm place until double (about 45 minutes). Bake as in Step 4.
Candied Orange Slices
- Cut oranges crosswise into 1/4-inch slices, removing seeds. In a large skillet thats at least 2-inches deep combine water, sugar, ginger, and red pepper. Bring to boiling. Add orange slices. Simmer, uncovered, about 1 hour until rinds become very tender. Transfer slices and syrup to a glass bowl; remove ginger; cool.
Nutrition Facts (Orange-Saffron Bread)
- Per serving:
- 367 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 32 mg chol. ,
- 162 mg sodium ,
- 65 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 28 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.