Nutty Snail Rolls
- In a large mixing bowl stir together 2 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and stir the 1 cup milk; the granulated sugar; butter, margarine, or shortening; and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; add eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double (about 1 hour).
- Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Lightly grease baking sheets; set aside.
- Roll each half of dough into a 12x8-inch rectangle. Cut each rectangle into twelve 1-inch-wide strips. Roll each strip into a snail shape, tucking end of strip under roll. Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double (about 30 minutes).
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons milk, and the vanilla. Add enough additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make icing of drizzling consistency. Drizzle over rolls; sprinkle with chopped nuts. Makes 24 snails.
From the Test Kitchen
Bake and cool rolls as directed; do not prepare icing. Freeze rolls in airtight container up to 3 months. Thaw 20 minutes at room temperature before drizzling with icing.
Nutrition Facts (Nutty Snail Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 136 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 23 mg chol. ,
- 76 mg sodium ,
- 22 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 3 g pro.