My Fair Ladies Potato Bread
- In a large bowl, combine buttermilk or sour milk and potato flakes; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat and stir tomato juice, butter, sugar, salt, and white pepper until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts, stir into buttermilk mixture. (Mixture may appear lumpy.)
- Stir in yeast. Add 1 cup bread or all-purpose flour; beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in rye flour and as much of the remaining bread flour as you can with a spoon. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead in enough remaining bread flour to make moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into ball. Place in lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of dough. Cover; let dough rise in a warm place until double in size (50 to 60 minutes).
- Grease a cookie sheet; set aside. Punch dough down; cover and let rest 10 minute. Shape into a ball; place on prepared cookie sheet. Flatten to a circle 6 inches in diameter. Cover; let rise until nearly double in size (30 to 40 minutes).
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from baking sheet; cool on wire rack. Makes 1 loaf (16 servings).
From the Test Kitchen
Test Kitchen Tip:
To make 3/4 cup sour milk, place 2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 3/4 cup liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
1 bread, 1 fat.
Nutrition Facts (My Fair Ladies Potato Bread)
- Per serving:
- 115 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 9 mg chol. ,
- 228 mg sodium ,
- 18 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 3 g pro.