Mini Citrus Sweet Breads
- Sprinkle yeast and a pinch of sugar over warm water in large bowl. Let mixture stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Beat in 2 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar, eggs, oil, grated orange peel and salt with wooden spoon, until smooth. Stir in raisins, candied peel, and enough flour (about 1-1/4 cups) to make a soft dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, sprinkling with remaining 1/4 cup flour as needed to keep dough from sticking, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl; turn to oil top. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk, 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down, cover and let stand 10 minutes.
- Brush four foil 5-3/4x3-1/4x2-inch baby loaf pans with oil. Divide dough into quarters; shape each piece into an oval and place in prepared pan. With a small, sharp knife, make 2 slashes across the top of each loaf. Transfer pans to a jelly-roll pan; cover with plastic wrap and let loaves rise until doubled in bulk, 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degree F. Bake loaves on jelly-roll pan until golden brown, 16 to 18 minutes. Transfer pans to wire racks and cool 5 minutes. Unmold loaves and cool completely. (Makes 4 mini loaves, 6 slices per loaf).
From the Test Kitchen
Breads an be made ahead. Wrap well and freeze up to 2 weeks. Thaw at room temperature 2 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Mini Citrus Sweet Breads)
- Per serving:
- 125 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 27 mg chol. ,
- 106 mg sodium ,
- 20 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 3 g pro.