Herbed Wild Rice Rolls
- Stir together 1-1/2 cups of the flour, the yeast, parsley, thyme, and wild rice in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- Stir together water, wine, margarine or butter, sugar, bouillon, and salt in a medium saucepan. Heat and stir just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F), margarine or butter almost melts, and bouillon dissolves. Add water mixture to flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can with a wooden spoon.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turn once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled (45 minutes to 1 hour).
- Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Lightly grease a baking sheet; set aside.
- To shape into rosettes roll each half of raised dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12x10-inch rectangle. Cut each rectangle crosswise into twelve 10x1-inch strips. Stretch each strip to form a 12-inch-long rope and tie in a loose knot, leaving two long ends. Tuck top end under roll. Bring bottom end up and tuck into center of roll.
- Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and brush tops with additional margarine or butter, if desired.
From the Test Kitchen
Store baked rolls, wrapped in clear plastic wrap or foil, at room temperature up to 3 days, or freeze up to 2 months.
Nutrition Facts (Herbed Wild Rice Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 93 kcal ,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 4 mg chol. ,
- 74 mg sodium ,
- 17 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g pro.