- In a medium bowl, combine warm water, the 2 tablespoons oil, the yeast, and sugar. Stir to dissolve yeast. Let stand about 10 minutes or until foamy.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine 3 cups of the flour and the salt. Stir yeast mixture into flour mixture until combined. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough that is smooth but slightly sticky (about 5 minutes total).
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, turning once to grease surface of dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 45 minutes).
- Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into four equal portions. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll each portion into a 10-inch circle.* (It's okay if the shape is irregular; it adds to its rustic charm.) Continue preparing and grilling one flatbread at a time (or stack and store dough rounds until ready to use**).
- Sprinkle a baking sheet or pizza peel with cornmeal. Place a dough round on the baking sheet or peel. (When the baking sheet or peel is moved back and forth the dough should move freely.)
- For a charcoal grill, use the baking sheet or peel to transfer the dough round to the rack of a grill with a cover directly over medium coals (or you can gently pick up the dough and carefully place it on the grill rack). Grill, uncovered, about 3 minutes or until the bottom is lightly browned. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place dough round on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above) Using wide spatulas, remove the flatbread from grill. Turn flatbread over; return to baking sheet or peel. If desired, brush flatbread lightly with additional oil. Add a desired topping.
- Return flatbread to the grill. Cover and grill for 2 to 3 minutes more or until bottom of flatbread is lightly browned and cheese is melted. Repeat with the remaining flatbreads. Makes 4 flatbread crusts.
From the Test Kitchen
If the dough springs back when rolling it out, let the dough rest for a minute or two and continue rolling.
Place one dough round on a baking sheet sprinkled lightly with cornmeal. Sprinkle top lightly with cornmeal and top with a sheet of parchment paper. Continue with remaining flatbreads, sprinkling each with cornmeal and topping with parchment paper. Stack all four flatbreads. Cover whole stack with plastic wrap or foil and chill for up to 4 hours.