Fennel Fruit Crown
- In a large mixing bowl stir together 1-1/2 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat and stir ricotta cheese, orange juice, brown sugar, margarine or butter, and salt until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and margarine is almost melted. Add to flour mixture; add eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping the bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes more.
- Using a spoon, stir in ground hazelnuts, fruit bits, fennel seed, and the remaining flour (the batter will be stiff). Spoon into a well-greased 6-cup fluted tube pan or two 8x4x2-inch loaf pans. Cover; let rise in a warm place until nearly double (50 to 60 minutes).
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes (35 to 40 minutes in loaf pans) or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. If necessary, cover with foil the last 10 minutes to prevent overbrowning. Remove from pan(s).
- Cool on a wire rack. Sift powdered sugar over the top(s) of fruit crown. Makes 1 crown or 2 loaves (12 to 16 total servings).
From the Test Kitchen
Store bread, tightly wrapped in foil or in an airtight container, for 3 days at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts (Fennel Fruit Crown)
- Per serving:
- 258 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 40 mg chol. ,
- 242 mg sodium ,
- 42 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 8 g pro.