- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups of the flour, the yeast, and cinnamon, if desired. In a small saucepan heat and stir together the milk, butter, 1/4 cup sugar and salt just until warm (120 degree F to 130 degree F) and butter almost melts. Add to flour mixture along with eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough additional flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double (about 1-1/2 hours).
- Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Line two large baking sheets with foil; grease foil and set aside. Divide dough in half or quarters. Roll each dough half into a rope about 20 inches long or roll dough quarters into 15-inch long ropes. Shape into rings and place on the prepared baking sheets. Seal ends. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. In a small bowl combine almonds, 1/4 cup sugar, and toffee bits. Stir in egg yolks.
- Brush rings with egg white. Sprinkle almond mixture evenly over the top and sides of the rings, lightly pressing almond mixture into sides as necessary. Bake, one sheet at a time*, for 25 minutes until golden brown and a thermometer registers 195 degree F in thickest part of the bread.
- Remove from oven. Cool on a wire racks. Bake second sheet.
From the Test Kitchen
If ring(s) on the second sheet begin to over-rise, cover breads lightly and chill on baking sheet until first breads are done.
Bread machine directions:
Use 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour. In a 1-1/2- to 2-pound bread machine pan, combine the first 8 ingredients according to manufacturers directions. Select dough cycle. When dough is complete, punch down; cover and let rest 10 minutes. Prepare topping; shape bread, top, let rise, and bake as above.
Nutrition Facts (Easter Rings)
- Per serving:
- 177 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 51 mg chol. ,
- 172 mg sodium ,
- 24 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.