- Combine 3/4 cup of the flour, the yeast, dillseed, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat and stir cottage cheese, the 1/4 cup water, margarine or butter, sugar, salt, and pepper in a medium saucepan until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and margarine or butter is almost melted.
- Add cottage cheese mixture to flour mixture. Add the 1 egg. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in as much remaining flour as you can with a wooden spoon.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Shape dough into 18 balls, pulling edges under to make smooth tops. Place balls about 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double (20 to 30 minutes).
- Combine beaten egg and the 1 tablespoon water. Top each bun with a dill sprig, if desired; brush with egg mixture. Bake in a 375 degree F oven about 12 minutes or until golden.
From the Test Kitchen
To make cloverleaf rolls:
Lightly grease eighteen 2-1/2-inch muffin cups. After the 15-minute rest, shape dough into 54 balls. Place three balls in each muffin cup. Let rise and bake as directed. Makes 18 rolls.
Bake rolls as directed. Cool on wire racks. Place in freezer container and freeze up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature about 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts (Dilly Buns)
- Per serving:
- 93 kcal ,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 25 mg chol. ,
- 150 mg sodium ,
- 14 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 4 g pro.