- In a large mixing bowl combine 3/4 cup of the flour, the yeast, dillseed, and baking soda.
- In a medium saucepan heat and stir cottage cheese, 1/4 cup water, margarine or butter, sugar, salt, and pepper until warm (120 degree F. to 130 degree F.) and margarine is almost melted.
- Add cheese mixture to flour mixture. Add the first egg. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a spoon, stir in as much remaining flour as you can
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Shape dough into 18 balls, pulling edges under to make smooth tops. Place balls about 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Cover; let rise in a warm place until nearly double (20 to 30 minutes).
- Combine beaten egg and 1 tablespoon water. Top each bun with a dill sprig, if desired. Brush with egg mixture. Bake in a 375 degree F. oven about 12 minutes or until golden. Makes 18.
From the Test Kitchen
To make cloverleaf rolls:
Lightly grease eighteen 2-1/2-inch muffin cups. After the 15-minute rest, shape the dough into 54 balls. Place 3 balls in each muffin cup. Let rise and bake as directed. Makes 18.
Freeze cooled buns for up to 3 months in a freezer container. Thaw at room temperature about 1 hour.