- In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups of the flour and yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, the 1/3 cup sugar, the 1/3 cup butter, and salt just until warm (120 to 130 degrees F.) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to dry mixture along with eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Lightly grease two 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pans.
- Roll each portion of the dough into a 12x8-inch rectangle. Brush the 3 tablespoons melted butter over dough. Combine the 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough. Roll up into a spiral, starting from a long side. Seal seam. Slice each roll into 12 equal pieces. Place in prepared pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double (about 30 minutes).
- Bake in 375 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Cool slightly; remove from pans. Drizzle with icing recipe of your choice. If desired, serve warm. Makes 24 rolls.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare and shape rolls. Cover with oiled waxed paper, then plastic wrap. Chill 2 to 24 hours. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Prick any air bubbles with a wooden pick. Bake as directed.
Cream Cheese Icing
- In a small bowl combine cream cheese, butter, and vanilla. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth. Beat in enough milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make spreading consistency.
- In a small bowl stir powdered sugar, corn syrup, and vanilla. Stir in enough half-and-half or light cream to make drizzling consistency.
Powdered Sugar Icing
- In mixing bowl combine powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk or orange juice. Stir in additional milk or juice, 1 teaspoon at a time, until it reaches drizzling consistency. Makes 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts (Cinnamon Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 161 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 19 mg chol. ,
- 103 mg sodium ,
- 27 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 3 g pro.
Beth Huffnagle 373 Days Ago
I've used this recipe for many years from the original cookbook. My granddaughters wanted it and I didn't want to copy it so I looked it up online. We had it for breakfast this Am and it was as good as ever.