Chunk O' Cheese Bread
- In a 2-quart saucepan combine the 3/4 cup water, the 1/4 cup cornmeal, and the salt. Bring to boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add molasses and butter, stirring to melt butter. Cool to lukewarm (105 degrees F to 115 degrees F). (This will take about 20 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, stir yeast into the 1/4 cup water; let stand 5 minutes. Stir into cornmeal mixture. Using a wooden spoon, gradually stir in as much of the flour as you can. On a lightly floured surface, knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Place in greased bowl; turn once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in warm place until double (about 1 hour).
- Punch dough down. Place dough on a surface sprinkled with additional cornmeal. Work cheese into dough, adding one-fourth at a time until cubes are evenly distributed.
- Line baking sheet with foil; generously grease foil. Shape dough into a 5-inch round loaf; place on prepared baking sheet. Cover and let rise until double (about 45 minutes).
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 45 to 55 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Serve warm. Makes 1 loaf (16 servings).
From the Test Kitchen
1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Nutrition Facts (Chunk O' Cheese Bread)
- Per serving:
- 144 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 16 mg chol. ,
- 274 mg sodium ,
- 20 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 4 g pro.