Chocolate-Prune Accordion Bread
Conventional Dough Preparation:
- In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside. In a small saucepan heat and stir milk, water, sugar, margarine or butter, salt, and cinnamon just until warm (120 degree F to 130 degree F) and the margarine almost melts.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture along with the egg. Beat with electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can. (Dough should be just stiff enough to knead.)
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour (you may not need entire 4 cups) to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total).
- Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of the dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (45 to 60 minutes).
Shaping and Baking:
- After first rise of conventional method (or when bread-machine dough cycle is complete), remove dough. Punch dough down. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly grease a baking sheet; set aside. Combine prunes and chocolate; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface roll dough to a 15x10-inch rectangle. Sprinkle about 1/4 of the prune-chocolate mixture crosswise over 3 inches of dough along the 10-inch side.
- Fold dough over filling, allowing long edge of dough to extend beyond topped dough. Add another 1/4 of the prune-chocolate mixture on top of the filled layer (see photo. No. 2 right), pressing filling lightly. Fold dough back over topping. Repeat topping and folding dough and filling, accordion-style twice more (see photo No. 3 right).
- Fold remaining dough on top, pressing lightly. It is very important to measure dough carefully during shaping (see photo No. 4, right).
- Place the shaped dough on the prepared baking sheet. Cover; let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Using a sharp knife, score top layer of loaf once lengthwise down the center and then crosswise at 1-inch intervals, creating a large checkerboard-type pattern. Makes 1 large loaf (12 to 16 servings)
- Insert two long wooden skewers (one close to each end of loaf) completely through the loaf to keep bread layers from slipping while baking.
- Bake about 35 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when you lightly tap the top with your fingers (cover with foil the last 20 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning). Transfer bread to wire rack; cool completely. Remove the wooden skewers. Slice to serve.
From the Test Kitchen
Bread Machine Preparation:
Add all ingredients except the prunes and chocolate to the pan of a 2-pound bread machine. Select dough cycle.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate-Prune Accordion Bread)
- Per serving:
- 297 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 19 mg chol. ,
- 206 mg sodium ,
- 55 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 8 g pro.