- Place cherries in small bowl. Pour enough boiling water over to cover. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes; drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir together 2 cups of the flour and the yeast. In a small saucepan, combine milk, sugar, butter, and salt. Heat and stir over medium heat just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture along with egg, and if desired, almond extract. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in cherries and as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into ball. Place in lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of dough. Cover; let rise in warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
- Punch dough down. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Divide dough into four portions. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, grease two cookie sheets; set aside.
- Shape each dough portion into a 20-inch-long rope. Twist two of the ropes together. Bring ends together; seal to form a ring. Place on one prepared cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. (If desired, place a greased 6-ounce custard cup or removable center of a tube pan inside the ring to keep the center of the bread perfectly round.) Cover dough; let rise in warm place until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes).
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until brown (if necessary to prevent overbrowning, cover loosely with foil for the last 10 minutes of baking). Remove bread from cookie sheets to wire racks. Brush warm loaves with preserves; sprinkle with almonds. Serve warm, or cool, to room temperature. Makes 2 loaves (16 servings).
From the Test Kitchen
2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat.
Nutrition Facts (Cherry-Almond Twist)
- Per serving:
- 200 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 23 mg chol. ,
- 190 mg sodium ,
- 34 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 5 g pro.