Cardamom-Orange Bunnies Be the first to rate & review! With their lovable shape, these yeast rolls may easily become an Easter brunch tradition. The golden-tailed hares are enhanced with a bit of cardamom. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Updated on December 11, 2013 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Prep Time: 45 mins Rise Time: 1 hrs 30 mins Bake Time: 11 mins Total Time: 45 mins Yield: 4 large bunnies and 10 small bunnies Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 5 ¼ cup all-purpose flour 1 package active dry yeast ¾ teaspoon ground cardamom 1 ¼ cup milk ½ cup butter, margarine, or shortening ⅓ cup sugar ½ teaspoon salt 2 eggs 2 tablespoon finely shredded orange peel or 1 tablespoon finely shredded lime peel ¼ cup orange juice or 2 tablespoons lime juice and 2 tablespoons water 1 Orange or Lime Icing (see recipe below) (optional) Orange or Lime Icing 1 ½ cup sifted powder sugar Orange: 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel 2 tablespoon orange juice Lime: 1 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel 2 tablespoon milk Directions In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups of the flour, the yeast, and cardamom. Set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, the butter, the 1/3 cup sugar, and salt just until warm (120 degree F to 130 degree F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to dry mixture along with eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in orange or lime peel, orange or lime juice, and as much of remaining flour as you can. Turn dough onto a floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl; turn once. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour). Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Lightly grease two cookie sheets. (Large bunnies will go on one sheet, the small bunnies will go on the other.) For large bunnies, roll one portion of dough into a 14x10-inch rectangle. Cut rectangle in half crosswise. Divide one portion of this dough in half and roll each half into a rope about 16 inches long. On one of the lightly greased cookie sheets, overlap one end of strip over the other to form a loop; bring the end that's underneath up over the top end, letting one end extend on each side to make ears. Pat tips of ears to shape in point. Make a second large bunny with remaining rope. Cut remaining half of rectangle into 6 strips, 10 inches long. Roll 5 strips of the dough into ropes about 12 inches long. Shape 5 small bunnies as above on the second baking sheet. With remaining strip of dough, shape 2 large balls and 5 small balls of dough for the tails. Moisten ball and place atop dough at bottom of loop. Press tails onto dough. Repeat with remaining dough making 2 more large bunnies and 5 more small bunnies. After shaping, cover and let rise until nearly double (30 to 45 minutes). Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degree F. Bake small bunnies 11 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Bake large bunnies for 13 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheets; cool on wire racks. Frost while warm with Orange or Lime Icing, if desired. Makes 4 large bunnies and 10 small bunnies. Orange or Lime Icing In a small bowl combine 1-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange or lime peel. For Orange Icing, stir in enough orange juice (2 to 3 tablespoons) to make of drizzling consistency. For Lime Icing, stir in enough milk (2 to 3 tablespoons) to make of drizzling consistency. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 214 Calories 6g Fat 36g Carbs 5g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Calories 214 % Daily Value * Total Fat 6g 8% Saturated Fat 3g 15% Cholesterol 36mg 12% Sodium 125mg 5% Total Carbohydrate 36g 13% Protein 5g Vitamin C 3.5mg 18% Calcium 30.3mg 2% Iron 1.4mg 8% *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.