Winter White Vegetable Soup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wrap beet in foil. Roast about 1 hour or just until tender; cool. Peel and chop beet; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a 4-quart Dutch oven melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add cauliflower, fennel, potato, celeriac, turnip, parsnip, and salt. Add the water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes or until vegetables are very tender. Remove Dutch oven from heat. Stir in the 1 cup milk. Cool about 30 minutes.
- Transfer one-third of the vegetable mixture to a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Repeat twice more with remaining vegetable mixture.
- Return all of the vegetable mixture to Dutch oven. Stir in enough additional milk to make mixture desired consistency. Heat through.
- Sprinkle each serving with chopped beet. If desired, garnish with snipped chives.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed through Step 3. Place beet in an airtight container; cover, seal, and store in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Transfer cauliflower mixture to an airtight container; cover, seal, and store in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. To reheat, transfer cauliflower mixture to a Dutch oven and stir in enough additional milk to make mixture desired consistency. Heat through. Serve as directed in Step 5.
Nutrition Facts (Winter White Vegetable Soup)
- Per serving:
- 118 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 8 mg chol. ,
- 501 mg sodium ,
- 20 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 4 g pro.