Wine-Braised Brisket with Onions
- One night before cooking the brisket, pat the brisket dry with paper towels. Sprinkle meat with the 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Transfer to a nonreactive 6- to 8-quart Dutch oven; add wine, beef broth, onions, thyme, bay leaf, and garlic. Cover tightly with a lid and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place the Dutch oven with meat over high heat; bring to a simmer.
- Cover the Dutch oven and transfer to the oven. Bake for 1 hour; stir in mushrooms. Cover and bake for 2 to 2-1/2 hours more or until meat is tender. Remove Dutch oven from oven; uncover. Let stand for 15 minutes. Stir in parsley.
- Transfer the brisket to a cutting board; slice the meat across the grain. Skim off any fat from the sauce; remove bay leaf. If desired, return sauce in the Dutch oven to heat. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until desired consistency. Season to taste with additional kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve the meat hot with the sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
Slow Cooker Directions:
Trim fat from meat. Sprinkle meat with the 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. If necessary, cut brisket to fit into a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Place meat in removable liner of slow cooker. Pour wine and broth evenly over brisket. Top with mushrooms, onion, thyme, bay leaf, and garlic. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from refrigerator. Place liner in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours. Carefully remove brisket from slow cooker and slice across the grain. If desired, transfer cooking liquid to a large saucepan. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until desired consistency. Serve brisket with sauce.
Nutrition Facts (Wine-Braised Brisket with Onions)
- Per serving:
- 222 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 120 mg chol. ,
- 337 mg sodium ,
- 5 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 25 g pro.