Whole-Wheat Soft Pretzels
- In a large bowl stir together 1 1/2 cups of the all-purpose flour and the yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, sugar, oil, and 1 teaspoon salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F). Add milk mixture to flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in whole wheat flour and as much of the remaining 1 to 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 1/4 hours).
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease two large baking sheets; set aside.
- Roll half of the dough into an 8x6-inch rectangle. Cut into twenty-four 8x1/4-inch strips. Repeat with the remaining dough. Gently pull strips into 10-inch ropes. Shape each pretzel by crossing one end over the other to form a circle, overlapping about 2 inches from each end. Take one end of dough in each hand and twist once at the point where the dough overlaps. Carefully lift each end across to the edge of the circle opposite it. Tuck ends under edges to make a pretzel shape; moisten ends and press to seal.
- Carefully place pretzels on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 4 minutes. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, generously grease two large baking sheets; set aside. In a large Dutch oven bring the 3 quarts water and 2 tablespoons salt to boiling. Add pretzels, three or four at a time, and boil gently for 2 minutes, turning once. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Let stand for a few seconds, then place about 1/2 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- In a small bowl combine egg white and the 1 tablespoon water; brush over pretzels. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake about 20 minutes or until golden. Immediately remove from baking sheets; cool on wire racks.
- Place some coarse sea salt in a small resealable plastic bag. Add a couple drops of desired food coloring. Close bag; shake well to coat.
Nutrition Facts (Whole-Wheat Soft Pretzels)
- Per serving:
- 55 kcal ,
- 1 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 1 mg chol. ,
- 214 mg sodium ,
- 9 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.
Amy Smith Anthony 1870 Days Ago
haha ok I'll chip in too... where is the recipe?? I use yeast a lot (bread dough, pizza dough, etc without a recipe) and this recipe looks pretty good and got a 5 star rating, maybe you guys would like to try it? I think I'll make them this weekend =) http://www.foodiefiasco.com/easy-homemade-soft-pretzels/
Debbie Swanson 1872 Days Ago
Me too! LOVE pretzels and whole wheat too! I saw the picture so I know the pretzels aren't invisible. Why is the recipe?!
Kim Wilson 1873 Days Ago
Where is the recipe!
lgmarketer 1873 Days Ago
I know....Me too! Where is the recipe???
Natasha Thompson 1873 Days Ago
There is no recipe here... and I really want to make these :(