Whole Wheat Gingerbread Pancakes
- In a large bowl stir together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, ginger, salt, and allspice. In a medium bowl combine eggs, buttermilk, molasses, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be slightly lumpy). Cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
- For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet; spread batter. (If batter is too thick, thin with a little additional buttermilk.) Cook over medium-low heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until pancakes are golden. Turn over when surfaces are bubbly and edges are slightly dry.
- Serve warm with Maple-Molasses Syrup, Apricot-Cherry Syrup, Spiced Blueberry Syrup, Rum-Butter Syrup, or Pomegranate Syrup.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed, except stir 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries into batter just before cooking pancakes.
Nutrition per serving (1 pancake + 2 tbsp. Maple-Molasses Syrup): same as above, except 260 calories, 52 g carbohydrate, 33 g sugar
In a small saucepan stir together 1-1/2 cups maple syrup and 1/2 cup molasses. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until warm. Makes 2 cups.
Nutrition per serving (syrup only): 106 calories, 0 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate, 0 g fat, 0 mg chol, 0 g fiber, 23 g sugar, 7 mg sodium, 0% vit A, 0% vit C, 5% calcium, 3% iron
In a small saucepan combine 3/4 cup dried tart cherries and enough boiling water to cover. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain. Stir in two 10-ounce jars apricot spreadable fruit; heat through. Makes about 2-1/2 cups.
Nutrition per serving (syrup only): 105 calories, 0 pro, 28 g carbohydrate, 0 fat, 0 chol, 0 fiber, 20 g sugar, 4% vitamin A, 5% Vitamin C, 15 mg sodium, 1% calcium, 1% iron
Spiced Blueberry Syrup:
In a small saucepan combine 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, 1 cup maple syrup, and dash ground cinnamon. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until warm. If desired, mash berries slightly. Makes 3 cups.
Nutrition per serving (syrup only): 62 calories, 0 pro, 16 g carbohydrate, 0 fat, 0 chol, 0 fiber, 14 g sugar, 0% Vitamin A, 3% Vitamin C, 3 mg sodium, 2% calcium, 0% iron
In a small saucepan combine 1-1/4 cups maple syrup, 1/2 cup butter, and 1/4 cup rum. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Makes 2 cups.
Nutrition per serving (syrup only): 123 calories, 0 g protein, 17 g carbohydrate, 6 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 15 g sugar, 4% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 54 mg sodium, 3% calcium, 0% iron
In a small saucepan combine 4 cups pomegranate juice and 1/2 to 1 cup sugar. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 40 minutes or until reduced by about half, stirring frequently. Makes about 2 cups.
Nutrition per serving (syrup only): 58 calories, 0 g protein, 15 g carbohydrate, 0 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 chol, 0 g fiber, 14 g sugar, 0% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 6 mg sodium, 1% calcium, 0% iron
To use the gingerbread mold, place on the griddle to warm slightly. Remove and spray the interior with nonstick cooking spray. Return to griddle and pour batter into mold. Release mold after edges are set, about 1 minute. Flip pancake as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Whole Wheat Gingerbread Pancakes)
- Per serving:
- 247 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 25 mg chol. ,
- 188 mg sodium ,
- 48 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 30 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.