Whole Grain Sunflower Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together all-purpose flour, brown sugar, whole wheat flour, the 1/2 cup sunflower kernels, the flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat egg with a fork; stir in buttermilk and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
- Spoon batter into prepared pan; spread evenly. Sprinkle with additional sunflower kernels. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
To make 1 1/4 cups sour milk, place 4 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 1/4 cups total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
Nutrition Facts (Whole Grain Sunflower Bread)
- Per serving:
- 202 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 16 mg chol. ,
- 207 mg sodium ,
- 28 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 13 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.
becky.allen 1622 Days Ago
This was a very moist and hearty bread, a great option for getting your whole grains in your day. It really does need to bake the full 45 minutes. The first time I made it, it was smelling done after 30 minutes and I did the toothpick check, which appeared dry. To my dismay, as it cooled, it sank, the inside was really not done. I used an aluminum pan, perhaps a stoneware loaf pan would work better.