White Wonderland Champagne Cake
- Allow butter and egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease an 8x8x2-inch or 9x9x2-inch baking pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper. Grease paper and lightly flour pan; set aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla. Beat on medium speed about 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Alternately add flour mixture and champagne to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Wash beaters thoroughly. In a medium mixing bowl beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold beaten egg whites into cake batter. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan; remove parchment paper. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Frost top and sides of cake with Champagne Butter Frosting. Top with Cone Trees. If desired, sprinkle top of cake with coconut.
From the Test Kitchen
Strawberry Champagne Cake:
Thaw one 10-ounce package frozen strawberries in syrup. Drain well, discarding syrup. Snip strawberries into smaller pieces with kitchen scissors. Prepare Champagne Cake as directed, except stir strawberries and, if desired, 2 to 3 drops red food coloring into batter before folding in the beaten egg whites. Pour batter into a 9x9x2-inch baking pan. Bake about 50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Continue as directed.
Nutrition Analysis: same as above except 710 calories, 6 g protein, 118 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 88 g sugar, 21% Vitamin C, 11% calcium, 11% iron
Champagne Butter Frosting
- In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add 1 cup of the powdered sugar, beating well. Slowly beat in champagne and vanilla. Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar. Beat in enough additional champagne to reach spreading consistency.
- Melt candy coating. Spread melted coating on ice cream cones. While coating is still wet, sprinkle cones generously with glitter, jimmies, nonpareils, flaked coconut, and/or other sprinkles, giving each cone a different look. Let stand on waxed paper until coating is set.
Nutrition Facts (White Wonderland Champagne Cake)
- Per serving:
- 685 kcal ,
- 23 g fat
- (15 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 47 mg chol. ,
- 491 mg sodium ,
- 111 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 82 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.