Whiskey Barrel Burgers
The day before:
- In a large bowl combine green onions, whiskey, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, melted butter, garlic, seasoned salt, crushed red pepper, and black pepper. Add ground beef and ground pork; mix well. Shape meat mixture into sixteen 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the Cheddar-Whiskey Filling on the center of each of eight of the patties (reserve remaining filling). Top with the remaining eight patties; pinch edges together to seal. In a storage container layer patties between sheets of waxed paper; cover and chill overnight.
- Tote patties, the remaining filling, lettuce, red onion, and tomato in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, prepare grill (with a cover). For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above pan. Place patties on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill for 10 minutes. Turn patties; cover and grill for 5 minutes. Top each patty with 1 tablespoon of the remaining filling. Cover and grill about 5 minutes more or until done (160 degrees F). (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect grilling and grill as above.)
- Spread bottoms of rolls with barbecue sauce; top with burgers, lettuce, red onion, and tomato. Replace tops of rolls.
From the Test Kitchen
Insulated cooler with ice packs
On-site grill (with a cover)
- In a food processor combine shredded cheddar cheese (8 ounces), finely chopped green onions, whiskey, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic, minced. Cover and process until nearly smooth.
Nutrition Facts (Whiskey Barrel Burgers)
- Per serving:
- 702 kcal ,
- 41 g fat
- (18 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 14 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 121 mg chol. ,
- 931 mg sodium ,
- 42 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 32 g pro.
Lori Grindstaff 1595 Days Ago
This recipe makes no sense. The same ingredient list is listed twice instead of the filling ingredients!