Wheel of Candy Canes Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, molasses, and vinegar until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 3 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll one dough portion at a time to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Using a 4-1/2- to 5-inch round cookie cutter, cut out dough. Place cutouts on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Using a 1-1/2- to 2-inch candy cane-shape cookie cutter, cut four candy canes from each round cutout. Fill candy cane-shape holes with finely crushed candy canes.
- Bake rounds for 5 to 6 minutes and the small candy cane cutouts for 3 to 4 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool pieces on cookie sheet elevated on a wire rack for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- Outline and flood candy cane cookies with glaze-consistency red-tinted Royal Icing. Using a decorating bag fitted with a small round tip, pipe stripes of white Royal Icing on candy cane cookies. Use icing to attach candy cane cookies to round cookies.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the powdered sugar, meringue powder, and cream of tartar. Add the water and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined; beat on high speed for 7 to 10 minutes or until icing is very stiff. If not using right away, cover bowl with a damp paper towel and cover paper towel with plastic wrap; chill for up to 48 hours.
From the Test Kitchen
Meringue powder is a mixture of pasteurized dried egg whites, sugar, and edible gums. Look for it in the baking aisle of your supermarket or at a specialty food store.
Nutrition Facts (Wheel of Candy Canes Cookies )
- Per serving:
- 82 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 6 mg chol. ,
- 28 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.